Saturday, October 1, 2011

Reverse Engineering: Boots

Ok, so maybe "engineering" is a stretch, but I have completely disassembled boots, only to rebuild them again.

During the summer, I found these *almost* perfect boots:

IMG_1636


I say almost because they're black... not brown.  Even though they were the wrong colour, I bought them because the height, design, and top fit exactly what I wanted (and they were cheap at some clearance place!).  I looked into the possibility of airbrushing, painting, and dying this fabric, but nothing seemed possible, especially since it's made of some crappy synthetic fabric.

Soooo.... I picked up fabric that I like and then cut up the black boots carefully, using the fabric I cut out as a guide of what to cut from the brown fabric:

IMG_1638


I sewed the pieces back together and used spray adhesive to stick the brown fabric back onto the base, giving it that wrinkly look.  I used painters tape over the toe and heal part to help create my pattern for those sections (as you can see the beginnings of in the above picture).

IMG_1639


The trickiest parts were around the zipper (you can't see in these pics.. they're on the lower insides of the boots) and along the back... I just wasn't sure how to make this look nice since I can't really maneuver around the inside of the base boots with my sewing machine.  However, this is one thing I learned from last year.  Last year I was so anal and meticulous with minor details, that NOBODY NOTICED. 

I want to get this done, and so spots you can't see, I'm not going to stress about.  I'm pretty pleased with results.  Still lots to go, but here's the base of the boot (as compared to the original):

IMG_1640

No comments:

Post a Comment