Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bodice Work

I'm continuing the trend of taking 3 technique attempts on a part of my costume before being satisfied.  I've been working on the bodice area (chest, torso, and back area) and trying to get it right.  If you notice in the female model of this robe, the chest piece kind of hugs/cups the boobs so trying to recreate that is proving tricky.

At first, I thought I'd build a corset of sorts.  Since I have no clue how to do that, I tried using one of my bras to sew the pieces onto.  That way, I'd just attach it over my robe and it was already fitted around my boobs. 


 However, the amount of layers on it was getting ridiculous.  It was fine for the maroon part, but when I starting trying to attach the purple fabric over the bra cups it was just getting messy looking.  After 2 layers of fabric, and 2 bras (the one I was wearing under the robe, and now this one), the shape just kind of got lost.






So, I've attempted to solve this problem by scrapping the top bra idea and building my own wire system to hug the robe fabric itself to my shape:




Yes, I know this is an awkward boob shot.  Oh well, I've gotten over it, please do as well =P  Also, I know it's super grainy, but my apartment has terrible lighting and my cheap point and shoot camera has an awful flash and it looks terribly overexposed if I use the flash >.<

So the idea behind this wire frame (it hooks behind each arm and then will be tied together) is that the other pieces will be sewn to it.  Around the wire will have that greyish fabric and then the maroon stomach piece will be sewn to the edge of that.

Also, trolls have a much longer torso than I do I've realized so trying to compress the corset piece is kind of sad =(

Oh, here's my belt progress (still needs the buckle):



I had a nightmare last night that I didn't get my costume done =(
I'm starting to panic.....

No comments:

Post a Comment