Saturday, October 16, 2010

Messy Update

I had the opportunity to play with paper mache again.  This is the frustrating part about the staff though - it's like every step I need to do takes an overnight or a day to dry before I can do anything else =(

Here's me paper mache-ing it up.  Yes, I know. I should be a hand model or something >.>



The finished product looks pretty goopy, but I did that intentionally to get it fairly hard when dried (get your mind out of the gutter, Seche). 


I sanded the roughness off when the paper mache was dried as well as added some paper clay for details I was unable to carve:



When this all was all dried, I painted the surface with gesso (canvas primer) in order to give a good surface to paint on.  I might need to do a couple layers of this, and then sand before painting.





I also worked on the fabric sashes for the shoulders tonight.  Stuff like this takes bloody long.  One sash honestly took me a couple hours to do.....I'll finish the second tomorrow.  It takes so long because each piece like this is 2 pieces of fabric attached to interfacing, and then the edging sewn on, and all the stupid detail work to hold on each gold piece.  What possessed me to do it like this is beyond me since it takes sooooooo long even with my foot all the way down on my sewing machine.  =(  Thankfully though, this is the last piece I have like this.


And here's what it looks like on the shoulder.  Note, I still have to do the bottom gem part that hangs on each -_-






Also, I pretty much need to be done by Monday night.  I leave Thursday morning and work from 9am to 10:30pm on Wednesday.  Tuesday evening I'm hoping will be packing of the costume and makeup trials.

3 comments:

  1. hi moldy! This is winny.

    I'm really enjoying reading your blog (including the interview)!
    Sometimes its tough to read for me but is really,really good english study :D

    By the way, now I'm getting really busy in real.
    I found a new job and new girlfriend, and They wont allow me play WoW :( ....for a while
    So I stopped account payment for now.
    But I'm here, so fine, and Ill be back again!
    Also I read this blog every day :)

    Goodluck on Blizzcon!
    Maybe I have to watch Blizzcon costume play contest on youtube..
    Well, See you later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the encouragement winny! just a couple more days...i can do it!!!!
    and also thanks for letting me know you're quitting this time! when you quit in tbc i thought you died or something =P all the best with RL stuff and see you when you're back in cataclysm ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much work, but you can do it! The end is in sight, and what you have completed looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete