Friday, September 17, 2010

Slow progress is slow

I promise I'm still working hard on my costume!  It's just I'm at a point where everything is taking a gazillion years to do, or so it seems.  My goal was to have the detailing of the skirt portion of my robe done by this weekend....doesn't look like that's going to happen, but here's what I've got so far:

These are the panels that go on the front and back of the robe.  It's fairly ridiculous how much thread I'm going through, but if you look close enough (around the flames) you'll quickly figure out why.  Thank goodness for buy one get one free thread sale at Fabricland currently!  I've gone though 3 yellow spools and I'm starting my 3rd gray spool now too.



The trim of these panels has been giving me some difficulty though.  I mentioned in the last post that my homemade bias taping wasn't working, so I'm experimenting with different techniques to get to edging right.  I've done so much seam ripping and undoing and redoing it's getting ridiculous =(  Being a perfectionist has its downfalls =/



The above picture is sort of what it'll look like.  When I sew on the back panel (because I'd never want unfinished edges or a facing!  /sigh@creating more work for myself) I'll take in the edging a bit more.  In this above picture I stuffed it slightly...I'm not sure if I should on this part.  I think I'm getting addicted to poofy parts of this costume and am taking liberties.  3D is cool, amirite?  >.>


You can kind of see here how it's coming together.  The white pieces are just my patterning.  The long portions will be maroon, and the diamondy pieces will be the yellow-gold colour.  Note: the edging on the top panel isn't sewn in place; I just kind of tucked it in for this picture.  Also, the bottom side pieces aren't sewn in yet either - they're just put in place for the photo.

I'm gone for the weekend until Sunday evening - which is my ICC25 raid so no sew time then.  Monday's my day off so crossing fingers for an uber productive day.  All of those panels need to also be done for the back of the robe, and each piece is taking several hours sadly -_-

p.s. sorry for ongoing poor photo quality.  I've just been using my old little point and shoot camera.  I'll get better quality photos for the finished product though.





2 comments: